If you’re anything like me there’s always someone who you’re last minute holiday shopping for. Combined with the fact that as an AmeriCorps VISTA I am working on a stipend this year, which meaning funds are a little tight and you get my Last Minute DIY Gift for this year.
This DIY Gift is quick, easy, and you probably have most if not all of the ingredients in your house. See below for my holiday gift this year: mini shower steamers! Shower steamers are a great gift this time of year because especially as the cold sets in and flu season is in full effect people can feel congested. With these you just pop one on the shower floor and as the water hits it it releases the oil scent into the shower transforming your ordinary shower into a luxurious space of relaxation.
Now I made the mini ones because I thought they were cute but if you don’t have a mini cupcake tin you can easily use a regular cupcake/muffin tray. Here’s the other ingredients that you need.
- Mini (or regular) cupcake tray with liners
- Baking Soda
- Corn Starch
- Essential Oils (whatever your favorite smell is) I used Peppermint, Lavender, and Eucalyptus because they were the ones I had in the house.
- Optional: food coloring
How to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix 1 Cup of Baking Soda + 1 Tablespoon + 1/3rd cup of water in a bowl (I like to use glass because I knew I wanted to add dye)
- Mix everything together until it forms a paste. You might need to add an extra teaspoon or so of water. The consistency should be similar to toothpaste.
- If you’re adding food dye now is when you’d add it until it’s the color you’d like I did a blueish purple for lavender, red for peppermint, and green for eucalyptus.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan lined with wrappers. With a full sized tray only fill about 1/3 to 1/2 of each cup.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Once they are hard take them out of the oven and let them cool before removing them from the tray.
- Once they’ve been removed from the tray peel off the cupcake wrapper (it’s important that you do this now otherwise it’s really hard to get them off in the future)
- Top each disk with 2-3 drops of the essential oil of your choosing.
That’s it! Since they need to be stored in a airtight container I popped 3 of them (one of each flavor I made) in a mason jar with some tinsel at the bottom. And wrapped the jar in ribbon.
You can either give them just like that just pop on a To and From or decorate your jar more to include instructions or anything else you’d like.
So what do you think? Are you still getting gifts for people? Do you have other simple DIY gifts you’ve used in the past? Let me know in the comments below.
Happy Holidays everyone wishing you and your loved ones all the best!